on the way to School

"Anna, let's go. I hear the 1st bell."
My brother Ramu yanks my shirt sleeve.
I stoop down to watch the red,
muddy rain puddle and put my fore finger
in to check the depth

"Come on, Anna! Two minutes for the 2nd bell, you know
what that means?"
I open my book-bag and bring out the long graph book.
I turn to a fresh page, fold it and tear
a perfect square sheet

"I don't know about you
I'm going to run before they close the gates.
I'm not going to get caned because of you."
Ramu runs toward
the closing gates

Not even a full minute
my paper boat is ready
to sail

The 3rd bell just went off
The iron gates are locked
prayer has begun
I wonder what will it be
this time--squeeze crunch
of pencil between fingers,
caning across my calves, or
a tardy report to my parents

I look back

the wet blue lines
bleed a bit
but the boat sways on
to the morning breeze

Comments